Sometimes I have thought about what to open that night before 8am...

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Towandaaaaaa!

This episode of Fresh Food Wednesday is brought to you by one of my all time favorite movies: Fried Green Tomatoes.  Why?  "I'm older, and I've got more insurance!"

BLfgT Sandwiches
"That frying pan did more than fry tomatoes that night."

Ingredients purchased at The Farmers Market
Green Heirloom Tomatoes
Mixed Greens
Spring Hill Garlic Quark Cheese (You can buy it through their website.  Don't say I never did anything nice for you!)

From the Grocery
Bacon, Sourdough bread

From the Pantry
Flour, Eggbeaters, Breadcrumbs, Salt, Pepper, Cooking Oil

 Slice the tomatoes into nice, thick slices. 
Arrange three bowls.  The first bowl has flour (salt and pepper to season).  The second bowl has Eggbeaters (you can substitute 3 beaten egg with 1/4 cup of milk).  The third bowl has bread crumbs.  Put a tomato slice in the flour bowl, turn to coat.  Then put the same tomato into the eggbeaters, turn to coat.  Finally the breadcrumbs, turn to coat.

While you are preparing the tomatoes, heat 1/4 inch of oil over medium heat in a large skillet.  Fry the tomatoes on both sides.

Toast the sourdough bread slices.  Spread one side with Garlic Quark Cheese.  Holy Cow is that good cheese.  I mean come to mama, oh heck no, I won't share, good cheese!  On the other side place your mixed greens.
 Stack the tomatoes on the greens, top with bacon, and cover with the quark coated slice!

"Oh, what I wouldn't give for a plate of fried green tomatoes like we used to have at the cafe. Ooh!"
Serve with sides of your choice.  I suggest oven roasted french fries with garlic and parmessan cheese.

My mouth is watering just talking about it.

Oh, and the wine?  Trefethen Riesling. 
You will have to wait until Friday for the details though...

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting your recipe! :) That just sounds so delightful.

    BTW, that "I'm older and have more insurance." is one of my all time favorite movie scenes/lines. bahahahaha!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mine too Kim! I say it all the time... even when it doesn't relate to what I'm talking about! ;)

    ReplyDelete