Sometimes I have thought about what to open that night before 8am...

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

The Best Use of Thanksgiving Leftovers - EVER!

So by now you have had your fill of left overs.  You've made sandwiches, possibly soup, and if you scoop one more serving of mashed potatoes and gravy as an afternoon snack you are wondering if you may just loose your ever loving marbles.  That is my problem with Thanksgiving.  At some point, I am just tired of leftover turkey dinner.

So that left me wondering, what could I make that I hadn't already made?  What could possibly be an alternative use for the leftovers that wouldn't scream "TURKEY DINNER! TURKEY DINNER! TURKEY DINNER!!!!!"  And because I am a few french fries short of a happy meal, the following thought immediately popped into my head:

Thanksgiving Enchiladas with
Cranberry Verde Sauce and Goat Cheese

I know it sounds crazy.  I was more than a little afraid I would have a disaster on my hands.  The results however, were incredible.  This will become a yearly tradition.  In fact, I may just make Thanksgiving Dinner for Christmas, and New Years, and Easter, oh and definitely Memorial Day...

So, in case, you are feeling a little crazy with your own leftovers, I thought I would pass the recipe along.  Without further ado, I give you:

Thanksgiving Enchiladas with Cranberry Verde Sauce and Goat Cheese
Ingredients:
Corn Tortillas
Goat Cheese
Cranberry Sauce
3 cans of Old El Paso Verde Enchilada Sauce (use whatever brand you like, this is just what I bought)
The rest of your Thanksgiving leftovers!


 I bought a tub of fresh cranberry sauce at Trader Joe's specifically for this recipe.  Please feel free to use whatever you had at thanksgiving, unless it is Cranberry Jelly (you know, the round kind? ; ) I think that would be too thick to work with the Enchilada Sauce. 

Combine the 3 cans of Verde Enchilada Sauce with approximately 1.5 cups of cranberry sauce.  Taste as you go, you will know when you get the perfect flavor for your family.

I chose Corn Tortillas because I thought the flavor of the corn would enhance the Thanksgiving flavors.  Tim agreed with me on the flavors, BUT he said, he would still have preferred flour tortillas.  To each his own.  Maybe next year I'll go half and half.  Or maybe not.

Picture of the sauce after I mixed it.

Smear a corn tortilla with goat cheese.  Top it with an assortment of Thanksgiving leftovers.  I mixed and matched for each enchilada.  Some had turkey, mushrooms, and stuffing.  Some had mashed potatoes, green beans and mushrooms.  Some had turkey, green beans, and mashed potatoes.  Like this one.
Pour some of your Cranberry Verde Sauce into the bottom of your casserole dish.  This will help keep them from sticking. 

Roll up the enchiladas and put them in the dish. 

Pour the rest of sauce over the top.

 Cover with tinfoil and bake for 20-30 minutes at 350 degrees.  You are really just heating it all up, since you did all of the cooking on Thanksgiving!

Unfortunately, there is no pretty picture of the finished product.  I was too busy eating to remember to take one!

This recipe made 20 enchiladas.  I wish it made more, as there were no leftovers. 

Next year... two turkeys! 

No comments:

Post a Comment