Sometimes I have thought about what to open that night before 8am...

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Because I am a Big Fat Liar

Everyone has hot button issues. Mine is Hunger. No one should be unable to put food on the table.

Last month I had the opportunity to volunteer at the San Diego Food Bank. We were packing food boxes for seniors. The San Diego Food Bank distributes 10,000 food boxes to seniors in the San Diego area each month.

10,000 households of Senior Citizens who are unable to put food on the table.

The number is staggering. And it is just the tip of the iceberg on services that The San Diego Food Bank provides. Their mission is great, and their hearts are huge.

I bring this up because while this last weekend kicked my butt, I am unable to waste food. Nothing lights my fire quite the way throwing out food does. Who am I to throw food in the garbage when so many people go without?

So tonight, when I opened the fridge, and I realized that I had produce that was on the verge, I cooked it.

Grilled Artichokes, Bucatini with Eggplant and Roasted Peppers, and Zinfandel. More on that later.
I am so blessed to be able to provide food for my family. Food that I cook with love, and that I serve with joy. Being tired is no excuse for me to forget how lucky we are...and how very, very thankful I am to be able to provide a healthy, delicious dinner!

Notes:

1. Tonight's dinner was not my creation, but it was delicious. As usual, it came from Cooking Light. You can find the recipe here. The vegetables that I found in the crisper in need of use were the eggplant, the peppers, and the artichoke.

2.  The contents of a Senior Box at the San Diego Food Bank: 2 boxes of bran cereal, 3 cans of evaporated milk, 2 cans of salmon, 2 cans of spinach, 2 cans of tomatoes, a bag of pasta, 2 cans of apricots, and a bag of dried milk. This is provided once a month.

3.  If you live locally and would like to help The San Diego Food Bank you can find out more information on their website. Whether you contribute financially or volunteer your time, you are needed.

4. If you don't live in the greater San Diego area, where do you live? How can you help? What can you do? What keeps you up at night? There are ways we can all make a difference, big or small. What is your heart leading you to do?

No comments:

Post a Comment