The recipe originally comes from Cooking Light (shocking I know), but as usual I've made a few changes! I am posting the original, with my changes in blue. The blue is a nod to my Mother in law. She always tweaks and improves things, and she will send you the recipe with her changes in blue. Trust me when I tell you, her changes are always better than the original.
Sweet Hot Tofu
Broccoli and Tofu in Hot Garlic Sauce
- 1 (3 1/2-ounce) bag boil-in-bag long-grain rice
- 2 teaspoons canola oil (3 tablespoons canola oil)
- 1 (14-ounce) package firm reduced-fat tofu, cut into (1-inch) cubes (I cube mine then cut into triangles)
- One large head of broccoli chopped into bite size pieces
- 2/3 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth (vegetable broth)
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon sherry
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon dark sesame oil
- Dash of crushed red pepper (I vary this based on my audience. Personally, I am a big fan of spicy food!)
- 2 teaspoons bottled minced fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons bottled minced garlic
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced green onions
- Prepare rice according to package directions, omitting salt and fat.
- Place cut tofu on paper towels to drain excess moisture.
- Put chopped broccoli in a large microwave safe dish, and cover with water. Microwave 3-4 minutes until crisp tender.
- Heat canola oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add tofu, and sauté 5 minutes or until lightly browned. (I cook mine a bit longer than this because I like it to have a crisp exterior) Remove from skillet.
- Combine broth and the next 7 ingredients (through pepper), stirring well with a whisk.
- Add ginger, garlic, and onions to pan; sauté 30 seconds. Stir in broth mixture; cook 1 minute or until thickened, stirring constantly. Add tofu to pan; cook 30 seconds, stirring gently to coat.
Divide rice evenly among each of 4 plates; top each serving with tofu and broccoli.
Serve with some ice cold Tsing taos and chopsticks.
Now that sounds like a fun Friday night!