We packed lunches, stopped for coffee and were on our way. If you have ever been to The Wild Animal Park (now called The Safari Park) in San Diego, you know that once you get off the highway, the drive in to the park is gorgeous! There are orchards, vineyards, Ostrich Farms, Horse Ranches, and you are surrounded by beautiful , untouched mountains. The Wild Animal Park owns 1800 acres. Of that number they have set aside more than half of them as conservation land. Their conservation makes the landscape (just 15 minutes off the highway) feel like an entirely different world.
The best thing about the day though, was the company. Both mothers and both daughters enjoy a good food adventure. So between the four of us, we were quick to decide to see the park, but to also cut out early and enjoy the farms, orchards, and vineyards!
Enjoy the story, as it unfolds in pictures...
Charlie and the Incredible, Amazing, Stupendous, Really Good Day!
|Start with good friends.|
|And wild animals.|
|Indulge your inner child.|
|Head off the beaten path.|
|Enjoy the view.|
|Follow in a friend's footsteps.|
|Marvel at the bounty of our Earth.|
|Keep your options open.|
|Try not to pass out from sheer joy.|
|Realize that art can be made from the ordinary.|
|Play hide 'n seek when asked.|
|Because you won't always be asked.|
|Never give up.|
|You hold victory in your hands.|
|And it is magnificent.|
|Look for creative solutions.|
|Put some elbow grease into it.|
|Shake your groove thang.|
|And always eat your vegetables.|
1. An Ostrich Egg is the equivalent of 23 chicken eggs. The flavor is the same (although Tim says it is a little meatier tasting). It is higher in protein and lower in cholesterol.
2. We made omelettes with the egg, as it would have been a little difficult to cook it over easy.
3. The Vineyard is Orfila. If you are headed out to Escondido, you should check it out. The wine was delicious, and they have a lot of fun events. We are headed back there for the grape stomp later this year.
4. The man that owns the Ostrich Farm, is a retired exotic animals vet from The Wild Animal Park. In addition to providing eggs, his ostriches have been used in many movies... including "Out of Africa". (You can't make this stuff up.) He was incredibly interesting to talk to, and he drove an egg out to the gate of his farm, when we couldn't find one at any of the local farm stands.
5. An enormous bag of organic oranges was $10, and reaffirmed my belief that fruit eaten in an orchard is twice as sweet.
6. And finally, the best plans are the plans you break... The proof is in the omelette.