Sometimes I have thought about what to open that night before 8am...

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Quick and Easy Avocado Slicing

We are at peak avocado season right now, and to say I love an avocado is an understatement. When I was growing up, my mother and I would split an avocado for dinner. She would cut it in half, pour some Balsamic Vinegar into the center, grind pepper over the top and we would eat them with a spoon. Something about the smooth velvety avocado paired with the tang of vinegar is magic. One spoonful and I am twelve, standing at the kitchen counter next to my mom... no plate required.

As an adult, I cook with avocado a lot. We love them. They make a great burger topping, add something special to a salad, or make a scruptious cream sauce for pasta. Actually, I don't know if that last one is true, but I plan on finding out this week! Angela, at Oh She Glows, has posted many recipes with an Avocado Cream Sauce, and today's is just begging to be made: Vegetable and Edamame Pasta with Basil Cream Sauce. I am adding it to this weeks menu and will let you know what I think asap!

But as much as I like cooking with Avocado, many people find working with them dificult. So I thought it would be fun to include a quick and easy avocado slicing method here on the blog. This will speed up your avocado preparation by leaps and bounds!

So here goes...

Slice your avocado in half by running the knife through the avocado around the pit. Twist the avocado and pull apart.
This next part is fun. Take your knife and smack it into the pit. You need to give it a pretty good whack to make sure it sticks.

Holding the knife embedded in the pit in one hand, and the avocado in the other, give the knife a slight twist. The pit will pop right out! So simple and yet so satisfying. 
 Now, take the knife and slice the avocado top to bottom and side to side being careful not to go through the peel.


Take a spoon and scoop out your beautiful chopped avocado!
So simple! If you want slices instead of a chopped avocado only slice the avocado from top to bottom.

Here's to Avocado Season!


No comments:

Post a Comment