Sometimes I have thought about what to open that night before 8am...

Thursday, July 28, 2011

Tim's Almost a "Chocodile" Birthday Cake

I always feel a lot of pressure when it comes to Tim's birthday. When you love someone that much, you want nothing more than to give them everything they want and have it all come out perfectly.

In our house, you pick your cake. You name it. Someone makes it for you. Tim's only request was chocolate.

Now for a little secret: Tim has more than a small penchant for snack cakes. You would not expect this from a man with Tim's culinary background, but it is true. His favorite is the Chocodile.

However, like all of the best laid plans, mine had a snafu. Tim wanted a chocolate cake. My brain decided on a Chocodile styled cake. Yep, I completely forgot that a Chocodile is vanilla cake with cream filling and chocolate frosting! I am that blonde.

So what did I do? Well I made the cake I wanted, vanilla cake be damned, and honestly? It came out better than I ever could have hoped!

Chocodile Cake

Ingredients:

Cake:
(Who needs to work from scratch when the cake mixes today are incredible!)
And ingredients listed on cake box

Frosting:
(This is really just a seven minute frosting.)
2 large egg whites
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup light corn syrup
2 tbsp water
1 tsp vanilla extract

Ganache:
9oz semisweet chocolate chips
1 cup heavy cream

Bake cake according to package directions using two 8 inch pans. While the cake is cooling make your frosting.

Place all of the frosting ingredients in a metal mixing bowl. Place the bowl over a pot of boiling water on the stove. Beat with a handheld mixer for approximately 7 minutes or until frosting is fluffy (soft peaks). Remove bowl from the saucepan and continue beating until the frosting is slightly cooled.

Place one layer of the cake on a cake stand. Top with all of the frosting. Place the second layer on top of the frosting.
Finally for the ganache. Pour your chocolate chips into a bowl. (I really, really want to type a glass bowl because that is what I always use, but I know in my heart of hearts that it doesn't matter. So you can just pour them in any bowl that you like.) On your stove, heat the heavy cream in a small pot, just until it boils. Watch carefully or you will end up with one heck of a mess!

When it comes to a boil, pour it over the chocolate. Whisk until the chocolate is melted and the cream and chocolate are combined. Let it rest for a few minutes so that it cools and thickens slightly. Pour over your cake starting at the center. It will cascade down the sides of the cake on its own.

Refrigerate until time to serve.
It kind of reminds me of another hostess cake...
Can't you see it with some white swirls down the middle?
But whether you prefer a Chocodile, or a Hostess Cupcake , I promise you won't be disappointed if you make this!



No comments:

Post a Comment