Sometimes I have thought about what to open that night before 8am...

Saturday, May 22, 2010

Bittersweet

I planted the vegetable garden today. 

Three years ago on the Saturday before Mother's Day, my husband spent the entire day building my vegetable garden.  The garden is approximately 20 ft in length, and 5 ft in width, and raised about 6 inches from the rest of the yard.  It is bordered with beautiful natural stones that Tim harvested from an old wall in the woods.  Perfection.

Every year, on Mother's Day my youngest and I shop for the vegetables.  We always plant tomatoes, pumpkins, and jalapenos.  The rest is done on a whim.   Favorites of years past have been Cubanelles, eggplant, and spaghetti squash.  We always change it up, and have a good time while we shop!

The Goose and I plant it together, water it together, weed it together, harvest it together, and enjoy the amazing bounty it provides... together.  I love my garden because I believe in grow your own, but I also love my garden because of how we have grown.

This year is a little bittersweet.  As I have already said, we have sold our house and are moving to California.  In the process, I struggled with the vegetable garden.  Do I plant it?  Will they want it?  Is it too much trouble for a young family? 

Finally, I asked... 
And they did!
And while it is hard not to be here for the harvest, knowing that they will love it, is a gift!

Oh, and I made sure to take some pictures of my best helpers for the little boys!

No comments:

Post a Comment