Sometimes I have thought about what to open that night before 8am...

Friday, October 15, 2010

A Taste of Fall - With Bubbles

We had the wonderful opportunity last weekend to attend a cider pressing party.  It was a fascinating process to watch, and if you ever get the chance to go, I highly recommend it. 

That said, we now have an inordinate amount of cider!  And truthfully?  I needed some new creative ways to use it.  This GENIUS idea comes from my amazing and wonderful sister, Katy.

Cidre de Pommes Champagne
 Ingredients:
Apple cider
Champagne
Turbinado Sugar
Cinnamon

In a small plate combine turbinado sugar and cinnamon (I used approximately 1/4 cup sugar - 1 tsp cinnamon as a ratio).  In a second small plate pour a small amount of cider.

Dip the rim of the glass in first the apple cider and then the cinnamon sugar.

Pour champagne into the glass leaving approximately a 2 inch window at the top.  Fill the rest of the glass with apple cider.
Voila!  Crisp!  Sparkling!  Original!
A couple of helpful hints:

* I used a white wine glass instead of a champagne glass.  This was just a personal preference.  It seemed to me that fall is a time for big robust flavors and that a bigger glass was a better choice.  Plus, who would complain about more champagne?

* Pour the apple cider slowly.  The reaction between the champagne and the cider causes a lot of fizz.  Our first attempt at this caused a champagne/cider volcanic eruption... all over the counter... and the floor.

*  You could garnish this with a cinnamon stick as well.  It would make a lovely addition.  Personally, I tend to skip non-edible garnishes in drinks.  You won't see me put one in the Caramel Apple Cider I am posting this afternoon either!

A Votre Sante!

No comments:

Post a Comment