Sometimes I have thought about what to open that night before 8am...

Monday, November 8, 2010

Baked Potato Cheese Soup

This is one of three things I make, that I make better than my chef husband.  No, that isn't me throwing down the gauntlet.  That is Tim throwing his hands in the air and shouting my victory for all to hear!  Not that we're competitive...

This is an old family recipe
     with very few ingredients
          that can be whipped together
               on a moments notice
                    quite often with either leftovers
                         or ingredients that are already in the fridge.

Now tell me that isn't lovely!

Ingredients:
Butter 2 tbsp
Flour 2 tbsp
Baked potatoes (I used 4)
Milk (roughly 6 cups)
Sharp Cheddar Cheese (roughly 2 cups)
Salt & Pepper
Melt your butter in the pot! 

Add the flour and stir until your roux turns golden brown.

Slice your baked potatoes in half, and scoop the insides into the pot.

Add enough milk to cover the potatoes.

Cook over medium-low heat until thoroughly heated. 
Then puree the bejeezus out of it with your stick blender!

Add the cheese, and stir until melted.

Season with Salt and Pepper, and serve!
Some tricks of the trade:
1.  It doesn't matter if you bake the potatoes that day, or you use leftovers.  So quite often if we have them for dinner one weeknight, I will just throw the extras in the fridge and then make this soup in the following couple of days.
2.  It also doesn't really matter if you use extra sharp cheddar.  It is really about whatever you like best, or what you have on hand.  I used some extra sharp cheddar this time, and the remains of a bag of shredded mexican blend cheese.  It was just as tasty.
3.  When you season it with Salt and Pepper, use Garlic Salt if you have it.  It adds a little something extra.  Just don't tell Tim. ;)
4.  Serve with a handful of Hot and Spicy Cheez-its thrown on top.  Trust me. 
5.  Play with the amounts.  I had 4 potatoes in the fridge, so I used 4 potatoes.  If I had 3 or 6 it would have made no difference.  The only important part is increasing or decreasing your remaining ingredients to allow for the difference!

No comments:

Post a Comment