Sometimes I have thought about what to open that night before 8am...

Friday, June 24, 2011

Strawberry Banana Bread

My mom bought me this cookbook when I was 13 years old. It is my go to source for quick breads of all sorts.
 It isn't easy to put your hands on a copy in 2011, but I did find a few available through Amazon. My copy is dog-eared and dirty, but I think that speaks to the caliber of the recipes inside. Every one is moist, delicious, and a guaranteed crowd-pleaser.

For Father's Day, I made the Strawberry Yogurt Banana Bread with Strawberry Yogurt Glaze. The recipe calls for baking this in two heart shaped molds, but I always bake my quick breads in a bundt. It makes for easier slicing, easier serving, and looks lovely on a cake stand.

Ingredients:
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
2/3 cup strawberry yogurt
1 tsp vanilla
1 medium banana, mashed

1 3/4 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda

1/2 cup strawberries
1/2 cup walnuts (I left these out as Tim doesn't like walnuts)

Beat together first 6 ingredients until blended. Combine and add the next 3 ingredients and stir until dry ingredients are just moistened. Stir in the strawberries and walnuts. Do not overmix.

Divide batter between 2 greased heart molds (or 1 bundt) and bake in a 350 degree oven for 40 minutes or until a cake tester, inserted in center, comes out clean.

Allow to cool in pan for 15 minutes and then remove from pans and continue cooling on a rack. When cool, brush tops with Strawberry Yogurt Glaze.

Strawberry Yogurt Glaze:
2 tbsp Strawberry Yogurt
1/2 cup sifted powdered sugar

Stir together all the ingredients until blended.


 I served it with a Green Monster, and a lot of love, of course.

To all the Dads out there: I hope you had a wonderful day, filled with love and appreciation for all you do for your family. Your hard work, wisdom, humor, love and affection make our world go round!

No comments:

Post a Comment