Sometimes I have thought about what to open that night before 8am...

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Not Just Tomato Soup

You know you are incredibly blessed, when the love of your life is also your partner in crime.

Last night was Halloween, and in Tim's childhood they had a tradition of having tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches before heading out Trick or Treating. It is a tradition we have carried on with our own children. The only problem is, that I have yet to find a tomato soup that is both healthy and delicious enough that I want to make it every year!

Yesterday morning, after trolling the internet for recipes yet again, I decided to create my own. Which is where Tim came in. While I am confident in the kitchen, having someone to bounce ideas off is crucial to success.

So, with Tim's help, I give you...

Not Just Tomato Soup


Ingredients:
2 tbsp Olive Oil
1 Medium Sweet Onion, diced
1 Medium Eggplant, peeled and chopped
3 cloves of garlic, minced
2 cups carrots, chopped (I use baby carrots)
4 (28oz) cans of low sodium diced tomatoes in juice
3 cups vegetable broth
1/2 cup fresh basil
1 tsp white pepper
1 tsp salt
1-2 tsp crushed red pepper

Heat dutch oven over medium high heat. Add onion and saute until translucent. Add Eggplant and garlic and continue cooking until eggplant softens. While the eggplant mixture is cooking,  place carrots and broth in a microwave safe dish and microwave for 4 minutes. Add tomatoes, carrots, broth and 1 tsp crushed red pepper to the pot with the eggplant.  Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes.

Remove from heat, toss in the basil, and puree until smooth. I use a stick blender, but pureeing in a regular blender would work just as well. Add salt, white pepper, and additional crushed red pepper according to taste.

We spent last night with friends. The kids trick or treated, we gave out candy gathered around a fire pit, and shared a meal. This soup was my contribution. Based on the reviews... It's a keeper!

Notes:

1. It's important the carrots are well cooked or they won't puree well. That is why I microwave them in the broth before I put them in the pot. By microwaving them in broth, you don't waste any of the nutrients by dumping out water that you use to boil the carrots.

2.  In the recipe I said to simmer the soup for 20 minutes. You can leave it on longer than that and it will be fine. I put mine on in the afternoon and left it simmering for at least an hour. The longer it simmers, the more rich the soup will taste. If it ends up a little to thick for your taste, just add some broth when you puree!

3.  I served mine with a tbsp of goat cheese on top. I can't recommend that highly enough. It was so rich and delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment