Sometimes I have thought about what to open that night before 8am...

Thursday, November 3, 2011

Pumpkin Smoothie

I love pumpkin ice cream, and it is pumpkin ice cream season. But, and this is a BIG but, I am trying to make healthier choices... less fat, less sugar, more nutritional value. So when contemplating dessert the other night, I decided to let my imagination run wild and come up with my own pumpkin smoothie. The end result was pretty darn delicious.

Pumpkin Smoothie
Ingredients:
1/2 can pumpkin
1 medium banana
6 oz container nonfat vanilla yogurt
8 oz vanilla almond milk
1-1.5 tsp cinnamon
6-8 ice cubes

Cut banana into pieces and freeze. Spread pumpkin into a dish and freeze that as well. Put banana, pumpkin, yogurt, almond milk, ice and 1 tsp cinnamon in to the blender and puree until smooth. Taste. Add more cinnamon and re-blend according to your taste preference.

Pour into 4 glasses.

Serve and enjoy!

Notes:
1. Karen Ray liked this well enough to ask if she could have it for breakfast the next day, and really why couldn't she? Fruit, vegetables and loaded with calcium? Sounds like a great breakfast to me!
2. I freeze the pumpkin and banana so that I don't have to use as much ice in the smoothie. It makes for a cold, frosty drink without it ending up icy. If you aren't inclined to freeze the pumpkin and banana, you may need a few more ice cubes to achieve maximum frosty goodness.
3. Pumpkin Pie Spice might make a great substitution for the cinnamon. I would have used it in these except I don't have any!

No comments:

Post a Comment