Sometimes I have thought about what to open that night before 8am...

Friday, January 14, 2011

I'm Making You an Offer You Can't Refuse

My husband is a Godfather fan.  This summer he corrupted both of my  older daughters. 

So obviously when I am walking through the grocery store and I see several Coppola wines on sale, I think, "Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis." 

No really.  This is actually why I bought them.
Coppola Ivory Label Cabernet Sauvignon and
Coppola Claret a blend of Cabernet, Merlot, Cab Franc, Petit Verdot, and Malbec
I decided it would be fun to try them both, and then declare a winner.  My initial instinct was that I would like the Claret best.  I love a Cab blend, and I loved the sleek black label with the gold netting.  I know, you don't buy a wine for a label, but this one just spoke to me.  It was the little black dress of the wine world.  The Ivory I picked up because we were having steak that weekend and I knew I would have the perfect opportunity to enjoy a Cabernet.

What I didn't expect, was that I would like the Ivory better.  In fact, I have bought it two additional times.  It is a great, big wine.  Even bigger if you open it about 20 minutes before drinking.  I loved it.

I liked the Claret as well, but definitely not as much.  Maybe it is because I had the Ivory first.  Although I did have them several days apart.  Regardless, the Claret just couldn't stand up to it. 

I was very, very surprised with the outcome.

I did learn two things during the course of the taste off.

1.  Coppola makes outstanding wines.  I will more than happily try others under their label... including the Claret again.  I still think I may have missed something with that wine.  Which means it definitely deserves a second chance.  I picked up a bottle of the Alicante Bouschet (Magenta Label) the other day.

2.  Always shop around for wine.  I have seen the Coppola Diamond Collection (Ivory Label, Magenta Label, and Claret) priced at $17.99 many, many places.  However, each and every time I have picked up the Ivory it has been for $12.99.  I can think of a lot of other things to spend $5 on, like a wedge of brie from Trader Joe's ... or a Cinnamon Dolce Latte from Starbucks.

mmmmmmm.  

Looks like I just planned my Friday evening, and my Saturday morning.

1 comment:

  1. This post makes me want Coppola wines ... Trader Joe's brie ... a Cinnamon Dolce Latte from Starbuck's (never had one -- next on my list) ... and a cannoli from Mike's Pastry in Boston's North End!

    ReplyDelete