Sometimes I have thought about what to open that night before 8am...

Monday, November 15, 2010

Give Two Gifts this Christmas

(The inspiration for this post comes from my amazing sister, Katy.)

Recently, we had a friend make a life changing trip to Africa.  Niki works for CARE.  She traveled to Kenya with a video crew to help them document the many amazing programs CARE is sponsoring.  She also documented her journey in a blog, and an incredible photo journal.  Looking at her pictures and reading her words has been inspiring.

Katy and I are celebrating our first Christmas as neighbors, as well as sisters and best friends.  It has been a big year.  Katy and her husband Todd welcomed their daughter Caden into the world.  Todd started a new job, and they also lived in a mountain of rubble while my house was remodeled next door... Tim and I sold our house, packed up our life, and moved cross country.  My two oldest girls headed off to college, and my youngest found her path at both a new school, and in a new town.

You could say we've been busy this year.

But while we are counting the many things that we have to be thankful for this coming Thanksgiving, we realize how many people in the world are not as blessed.  That is what inspired Katy's idea:

Amongst the adults, instead of doing a physical gift exchange, we are going to make a donation to the charity of the recipients choice.  Often, as bills stack up, and you start thinking of how you are going to provide Christmas for your family, it is hard to be worldly minded.  This exchange is a perfect opportunity for us to do both things.

So this week, I am dedicating my blog to the Christmas Spirit.  I am going to offer you a chance to find inspiration for your gift giving in the world around you.

I will start tomorrow with ideas for the kids in your life.

Oh, and while I titled this post Give Two Gifts this Christmas, it is really three Gifts.

One for the person, one for our world, and one for your heart.

Merry Christmas!

Update:  Quick links to all of the Gift Ideas
Kids
Teens
Everyone Else

No comments:

Post a Comment